[avr-gcc-list] 8-bit relocations on AVR

From: Andrew Zabolotny
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] 8-bit relocations on AVR
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:35:44 +0300

Hello!

I'm trying to implement some mumbo-jumbo technique, which in the end
involves emitting asm() instructions like these:

        .byte 2f-1f
1:      .ascii "somestring"
2:

As you may understand, it's not something extra-complex, I just want to
put a counted string in the .text section. However, avr-as will barf at
the above expression like this:

Error: illegal relocation size: 1

Well, a relocation is not really needed here, because it gets optimized
out somehow in the internals of gas. But I can understand that at some
early stage gas allocates a relocation item, and that's where the error
pops up.

I understand that avr-as could be patched to support 8-bit relocations
(I even found where - gas/config/tc-avr.c, function
avr_cons_fix_new()). But since I want others to be able to use my code
as well, and taking into account the longetivity of a typical
biggy-opensource patch walkthrough it's not a practical solution.

So, is there any other way to do what I want?

--
Andrew