[avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATMEGA16U2 support

From: Paul Rathgeb
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avr-libc-dev] ATMEGA16U2 support
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:35:16 +0100

I've tried to recompile the toolchain (binutils 2.20 (patched); GCC
4.4.3; avr-libc 1.6.8).

I noticed that gcc 4.4.3 doesn't include the support for atmegaXXu2
MCUs. Due to this lack of support in GCC, avr-libc compiles without the
atmegaxxU2 serie.

Then, I've tried to add the support in gcc 4.4.3. You'll find the patch
in attachment. I should have missed something, because I have this kind
of errors when I compile my firmware

/usr/local/avr-4.4.3/lib/gcc/avr/4.4.3/../../../../avr/bin/ld: avr:35
architecture of input file `output/main.o' is incompatible with avr:5
output

I didn't find what's wrong in the patch I made. It's the first time I
try to patch something like that. The problem comes probably from my
inexperience...

So, I decided to test the toolchain with GCC 4.5. (binutils 2.20
(patched); GCC 4.5 (from SVN at rev 156830); avr-libc 1.6.8). I had some
problems to compile avr-libc (many devices were not supported,
especially the atxmega series. As I just need the atmegaxxU2 support,
I've bypassed almost all the other MCUs during the compilation.

Now, I'm able to compile my firmware. I didn't tested my code. I'll do
it soon.

Using the unstable version of GCC for this firmware is too critical. I
don't like the idea to produce a device in which the firmware is
compiled with an unstable / untested version of GCC. So, I really want
to find a way to add the support to GCC 4.3.x. Is there some patches for
this somewhere ? Or can someone have a look at my patch, and see what
I've done wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Rathgeb