Re: [avr-gcc-list] 8-bit relocations on AVR

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] 8-bit relocations on AVR
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:18:40 +0100 (MET)

Andrew Zabolotny <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Thanks for providing this. Do you have a copyright assignment on file
>> with the FSF? That way we can commit your patch into binutils.

> No :-(
>
> What do I do?

I think your contribution could still qualify as a "medium to small"
change (given the number of lines of code changed, in comparison with
the complexity of the entire binutils package), so you could get away
with just a "personal disclaimer":

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Papers.html

There, you can also find the references for the copyright assignment
procedure, which might be useful to have anyway in case you intend to
further contribute to FSF-maintained software (binutils, GCC, GDB).
Note that you need to sign a separate assignment for each of these.

(The article referenced is meant to instruct FSF package maintainers,
so it's not directly targetted to contributors.)