[avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio lacks ability to display out-of-scope variable

From: Graham Davies
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio lacks ability to display out-of-scope variables? (was: Frame pointer location)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 07:51:32 -0400

Joerg Wunsch wrote (in part):
... AVR Studio even lacks the ability
to display out-of-scope variables...

I don't understand this statement. I routinely use the watch window in AVR Studio to display file-scope, statically allocated variables at breakpoints outside of the file in which those variables are in scope. Typically, I am peeking into the UART transmit buffer to see what has been put there but not yet pumped out of the serial interface by the UART transmit interrupt. What kind of "out-of-scope variables" is AVR Studio unable to display?

Graham.