Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard with gcc-4.2
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:26:11 +0200

Jens Bauer schrieb:
Hi Johann,

I've tried the following before compiling, but it makes no difference:
ln -s "$BUILDDIR/gmp-$GMP_VERSION" "$BUILDDIR/gcc-$GCC_VERSION/gmp"
ln -s "$BUILDDIR/mpfr-$MPFR_VERSION" "$BUILDDIR/gcc-$GCC_VERSION/mpfr"
ln -s "$BUILDDIR/mpc-$MPC_VERSION" "$BUILDDIR/gcc-$GCC_VERSION/mpc"

Don't do that.

OK, I won't do that anymore. ;)

Completely remove you $BUILD directory, copy or soft-link gmp/mpc/mpfr into
toplevel GCC $SOURCE directory and try to re-configure and re-build again.

That way the toplevel GCC configure machinery is used to configure/build
GMP/MPFR/MPC for your host/build setup.

I forgot to say that you don't need to do the sub-configures $GCC-SOURCE/gmp etc. by hand. Just configure GCC after you linked/copied the prerequesitie's sources.

Compiling just finished. Unfortunately, I still get the same error...

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
mkdir ./mpfr
Configuring in ./mpfr
configure: error: --target is not appropriate for GMP
Use --build=CPU-VENDOR-OS if you need to specify your CPU and/or system
explicitly.  Use --host if cross-compiling (see "Installing GMP" in the
manual for more on this).
make[1]: *** [configure-mpfr] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Would it help sending something from config.log or config.status ?

I remember running into problems after setting CC. So you should work out an other way to set -m32 option and unset CC. Note that you have a bunch of compilers involved:

So you are actually trying to do a canadian cross build on MAC?
I.e. build != host != target != build ?

- native build=host build compiler
- build -> host cross compiler for canadian cross build
- building host -> target cross compiler
- building build -> target cross compiler
- using build -> target cross compiler to build libraries

Thus you first need to build the native cross compiler and have it in the path for the canadian cross build.

These days I did a canadian cross for 4.6 and 4.7 (build=linux, host=win32, target=avr) and it worked.
Maybe there are issues with your build/host platform or combination.