Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard

From: Jens Bauer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard with gcc-4.2
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:16:07 +0200

Hi Bingo,

>The script is for Ubuntu 10.04 , but ought to give the basic idea.

Sometimes even just a small grain of dust is enough to lead you on the right
track. ;)

>I seem to remember the
>--with-gmp-include=
>was for mpfr , that complained about not finding gmp headers.
>But your error mesg seems to indicate that mpfr doesn't like the "target"
>configure: error: --target is not appropriate for GMP
>
>I'm rather sure that the "include" won't cure that.

I've tried so many different things so far, so it would be silly not to try
these two things. ;)

Perhaps diffing Makefile.in between 4.4.4 and 4.5.0 would help, but right now
I'm really too sleepy (lack of distcc) for having a go at it. ;)

I even tried getting Yagarto to compile 4.6.1, but it does not seem to work on
PowerPC; I've heard that it builds fine on intel Macs.

>Jörg Hermann : Did post a working MAC buildscript on the avr-toolchain
>list , but i'm not sure if it's "public"
>Afaik the only trouble he had was getting lib-usb support for avr-dude.

Uhm, last time I compiled avrdude, I think I got libusb support working; I may
be wrong, but that's how I remember it, and I guess I wouldn't be able to use
it for much without libusb, since I use AVRISPmkII myself.

>Maybe Jörg W , knows if that script is allowed to release , or knows
>Jörg H's contact info.
>
>Another hint when building avr-gcc , is to make sure you don't have
>another (previous) avr-gcc on the path , when building the new one.

I've already made a function, which removes any path that leads to avr-gcc and
the other avr-tools, so I'm past that point. :)

gcc-4.4.4 and earlier builds fine on my machine with exactly the same script,
so the basic trouble is out of the way already.

Love,
Jens