[avr-gcc-list] OT: Re: clarification on gcc

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] OT: Re: clarification on gcc
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:45:39 +1000

On 25.06.13 14:06, Eric Pasquier wrote:
> I have been using GCC for a long time and did not see big trouble in code
> size generation.

Having used gcc almost exclusively for more than a decade and a half,
across intel, powerpc, avr, and v850 targets, I've never found code size
to be a problem, either. That last bit of code optimisation is only
needed from a compiler if you're trying to put a quart into a pint pot.
(Please forgive the archaic non-metric volume units, but it is an old
saying.)

> Does anybody know if there is a difference with a commercial product ?

Yup, each compiler will have its own optimisation strategies and
settings. They all change with time, if any development work is going
on. Gcc can differ noticeably from itself between versions.

If you're designing a commercial product, then it's long past time to
add more RAM, if a bit of extra optimisation seems tempting. Putting a
product out in the market, only to be unable to add features to the
platform, to keep pace with competitors, is a seriously suboptimal
strategy in many cases.

Erik

--
Mollison's Bureaucracy Hypothesis:
   If an idea can survive a bureaucratic review and be implemented