Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality to avr-lib

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding (some) Procyon AVRlib functionality to avr-libc
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:23:55 +0200

As Frédéric Nadeau wrote:

> I volunteer to start the project.

Great!

> I suggest we open a hosting on Savannha so that we can have a
> separate mailing list and start discussion on that specific
> project. From there on we could lay out a distribution plan,
> compilation method, etc.

Do you really want your own project?  My offer still stands, it can
also become a subproject of avr-libc.  Adding more mailinglists is
pretty easy, and I'm willing to do that on your behalf (where it's no
problem to hand over the list management to one of you guys, but I
could as well do that myself if you'd rather like to concentrate on
the development work).  You'd get a subtree in CVS where you can work.

The only drawbacks I see:

. since it's the same CVS repository, there can only be one cvs-commit
  mailinglist

. bug and patch trackers will be shared between avr-libc and the new
  project; however, we could simply add more categories

The advantages I see:

. you don't have to deal with the project administration yourself, the
  existing administrators for avr-libc could do that

. there's no need to do all the "epaperwork" with the savannah
  administration (like explaining the purpose of the project, sending
  them the intended copyright notice, and wait for their approval --
  when the µracoli project tried to register, they nitpicked on the
  omission of the phrase "All Rights Reserved" in the coypright
  template submitted)