Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows Installer

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows Installer
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:08:34 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Brian Dean wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:16:37AM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > Ok, I now have a Windows installer built up for installing *just* avrdude
> > (binaries) for version 4.2.0.
> >
> > I have to get back up and going on Savannah, but I would like to
> > know where to put it.
>
> Great!  What about dropping it in the downloads area for AVRDUDE?
> I've never actually put files there so I'm sketchy on the exact
> procedure.

I don't really like the new file upload system. I wish they'd stick to
ssh+rsync. The new system is outlined here:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=2838

Of note is the comment by James Hess. I recommend that anyone with
upload permission please do not distribute signed files unless you plan
to upload them since any file you have signed could be uploaded by
anyone to any project you have upload rights to. We currently have no
way of removing files from the download areas once they are in place.

> > And I'm all set to build an installer for when 4.3.0 comes out,
> > which is what... any day now? ;-)
>
> Is Savannah fully functional now?

For the most part, yes:

* we have cvs commit access
* we can upload files to the public download area (although this is less
  than optimal right now)
* the web pages can be modified via cvs.

What we can't do in a sane way yet is:

* make the html docs available online on savannah (note that I have the
  avr-libc manual accessible via mirror right now)
* Organize the download area via subdirs (savannah folks say this
  is a future update if they can find someone with the php skills to
  implement it). I really don't wish to see 10's, 100's or 1000's of
  files in a single download directory. That's just confusing and a pain
  in the butt for users to find stuff and for someone to manage.

> I'm all for a new release as long as everyone feels comfortable with
> it.  I've been running the latest on FreeBSD for some time now and
> there aren't problems that I'm aware of.  If everyone agrees, I'd
> suggest we all do one final clean checkout and build, and if all three
> platforms get a clean build and test run or two, I think now (as in
> the next few days) is as good a time as any to tag the tree for
> release.

The ChangeLog file needs rotating and a few cleanups. The rotating
entails moving all 2003 entries into ChangeLog-2003 and a few
Makefile.am tweaks.

The cleanups are just formating changes. If the format isn't right, vim
and emacs (and maybe other editors) don't colorize the file correctly
making it harder to review.

I'll handle both of these this weekend.

> Ted usually does the tagging - are you able to do that honor again
> this time around Ted?

Sure, I can fit this in. Tentative plan for late sunday evening (PST
time) to tag the release and roll the tarball.

Ted Roth