Re: [avrdude-dev] Building AVRDUDE 5.2 under cygwin @WINDOWS_DIRS@: No s

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Building AVRDUDE 5.2 under cygwin @WINDOWS_DIRS@: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:47:33 +0100

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> >(Btw., there's a script called "bootstrap" in the
> >distribution.)

> Sorry, didn't see it in the docs, and in the other projects
> I work on its always been called 'autogen'.

Well, Ted Roth crafted it that way in about all the AVR-related
projects.

> I tried using bootstrap, and got this:

> You need to use autoconf version 2.59.
> You are using autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60.

Hmm, currently these scripts have hardcoded version numbers, not >= or
such.  You'd have to edit the script then...

> Wasn't there some discussion on getting avrdude to show a build date
> and time?  I don't see any mention of it when running 'avrdude'.

% avrdude -v

avrdude: Version 5.2, compiled on Oct  9 2006 at 20:57:17
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/joerg/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file,
skipping

avrdude: no programmer has been specified on the command line or the config file
         Specify a programmer using the -c option and try again

> Something else I noticed.  When you run 'configure --help' it says
> that the docs are built by default.  That does not seem to be the
> case.  You have to give --enable-doc to build them.

OK, that's been easy to fix. :)  It's intentional the docs are not
built by default, as they need so many prerequisites.