Re: [avrdude-dev] Building AVRDUDE 5.2 under cygwin @WINDOWS_DIRS@: No s

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Building AVRDUDE 5.2 under cygwin @WINDOWS_DIRS@: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:56:29 +0100

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> avrdude:  ser_open(): can't set buffers for "lpt1"

Not very surprising...  ser_open() looks like you're trying to use a
programmer that wants to use a serial port, but apparently you've been
passing lpt1 as the port name.  Something doesn't appear to match
here.

> Also are there any instructions on how to build to get usb support?

. install libusb; for Win32 systems it's libusb-win32 (a separate
  project on sourceforge.net), use the "filter" version here

. get libusb's installation base directory, say it's
  C:\Program Files\LibUSB-xxx; convert that to whatver path name
  convention your toolchain uses, e. g. "/c/Program Files/LibUSB-xxx"
  for MinGW, or "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/LibUSB-xxx" (?) for
  Cygwin

. assign this value to a shell variable for convenience

  LIBUSB="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/LibUSB-xxx"

. use that variable to derive the CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and LDFLAGS
  environment variables:

  export CFLAGS="-g -O -I'${LIBUSB}'/include"
  export CPPFLAGS="-I'${LIBUSB}/include'"
  export LDFLAGS="-L'${LIBUSB}'/lib/gcc"

(You could hack the above into a shell script, and just source that
into the running shell using ". scriptname".)

. run ./configure [...] && make && make install

I noticed on MinGW that configure creates a Makefile that overrides
LDFLAGS with "-static", so the linker subsequently fails to find
libusb.a.  Just edit the generated Makefile, and remove that LDFLAGS
line.  I think that's a bug somewhere in the auto* infrastructure for
MinGW.  Don't know if that would also happen on Cygwin.