RE: [Axiom-developer] LaTeX output

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] LaTeX output
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:45:40 -0500

On Wednesday, November 03, 2004 8:12 AM C Y
address@hidden wrote:

> --- "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I did the same thing some time ago, and asked the list.
> > I was told that there is a chance of re-introducing the Axiom
> > interface to some closed-source Windows-only thing (don't
> > remember its name), and because of this (remote) chance we
> > cannot touch anything in Axiom's TeX generation.

This is not accurate. Axiom is open source and anyone can
touch whatever they like in the Axiom code. The issue is more:
What is the best thing to touch? We have discussed this is
great detail over the last two years. See:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer

and try a few good keyword searches such as:

  Search String: TechExplorer

and

  Search String: texmacs

> Two questions, one comment.
>
> Q1)  What is the current status of getting ahold of the
> Windows interface (IIRC it was called TeXexplorer or somesuch?)
>
> Q2)  If we can get ahold of it, would it be in source or binary
> form?

Techexplorer is not open source:

  http://www.integretechpub.com/products/techexplorer/

> If it is in source form, surely it can be updated along with
> the TeX generation itself to match up with modern standards.

I think that doing this (and much more!) is on the agenda
of the new Techexplorer developer Integre. *If* Techexplorer
is re-integrated with Axiom *then* it would very likely be
done by people at Integre.

> Retaining old style TeX is begging for trouble (or at least
> bug reports).  The only reason to do it is if a) TeXexplorer
> becomes available and b) we have no way to change it.  (IMHO
> if we can't update the interface there is little point in it
> except as a temporary solution, but that's another discussion.)
>
> If all else fails, perhaps we can ask whoever has the rights
> to TeXexplorer to alter it to call something like )set output
> explorer instead of TeX.  Then we can put the old stuff there
> and update as we like.

I think the only really interesting functionality that once
was a part of the NAG Techexplorer interface for Axiom
under windows is the hyperdoc navigation. But both Texmacs
and the MathAction-style web interface already have gone
at least part way to replacing thing functionality yet
again with something else.