Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom on Mac OSX

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom on Mac OSX
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:03:56 -0400

Martin,

I'm somewhat confused about the FreeBSD environment.

The first issue is that FreeBSD outputs a 30 second LOUD beep before
it boots which I have not found a way to turn off. Does this happen
to you? How can I turn it off?

The second issue is that despite the fact that I asked for emacs to
be installed (I installed several times) I cannot find it anywhere.
How can I install emacs after the fact?

Third, where can I find GNU make? Originally I had written the Makefiles
so they did not care which make was used but changes have been made which
require gnu make. I thought I asked for it to be installed but can't find
it. I also asked for the Linux-compat environment to be installed but
that seems lost also.

My only guess is that there is a disk volume somewhere that contains
all these packages but isn't getting mounted.

All of my pure unix experience predates any package-handling mechanisms.

Where is a good FAQ location so I can get educated? I picked up a FreeBSD
book but it isn't really a user's guide.

In theory, given the work you've already done I should just have to compile
Axiom, make a few final tweaks to the Makefile, test the lot and we're
good to go. Unfortunately I'm still struggling with the mundane.

There is no such thing as a simple job.

Confused in PA,
Tim