RE: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:15:42 -0400

On October 11, 2005 8:44 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

> I'm writing on behalf of Renaud Rioboo, who tried to
> install axiom on Fedora 3 and Fedora 4 without success.
> He wrote:
>
> > All I got from the preinstalled versions (FC3 and FC4) is
> > a segmentation fault when running AXIOMsys.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to provide complete details of the
operating system versrion. Please say exactly what very
of FC3 and what version of FC4. Which kernel? What hardware
e.g. is it 32-bit or 64-bit linux?

> With the CVS version I could not build gcl and the install
> failed under FC3 and FC4.

Again it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that when reporting a
failure of this kind to provide complete information about
what version of operating system. And also to report in
detail the messages generated during the attempt to install.

I am able to build Axiom from tla on Fedora Core 3 x86-64.

> > I was not able to perform the install with an existing
> > version of gcl 2.6.7-4.fc4 for FC4 which I found in the
> > extras rpm repository.

The current Axiom build on all linux systems *except* Debian
is designed to use gcl re-built from the Axiom CVS. Only on
Debian, a different make script makes it possible to use a
pre-existing installation of gcl.

> It would be absolutely vital (for me!) that Renaud manages
> to get a running Axiom. Is the above a known issue?
>
> PLEASE HELP!

Axiom is know to work on both Fedora Core 3 and 4.

If you provide sufficient information I am sure that it
will be possible to discouver what is going wrong.