RE: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:31:06 -0400

On Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:35 PM Camm Maguire wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > First I go here
> >
> > http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/
> >
> > to download and install the 'alien' program from 'Latest
> source code'
> >
> > Then I visit
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
> >
> > click on i386, choose a mirror and download the *.deb file
> >
> > I become root and then run
> >
> >   # alien --to-rpm axiom_20050901-2_i386.deb
> >
> > It gives me some warnings about omitting "scripts":
> >
> >   Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package axiom: postinst
> > postrm
> >   Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
> >   axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm generated
> >
> > Should I have used the --scripts parameter?
> >
> > Now I can try a test run:
> >
> >   # rpm -ihv --test axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm
> >
> > It tells me:
> >
> >   error: Failed dependencies:
> >         libreadline.so.5 is needed by axiom-20050901-3
> >
> > --------
> >
> > Hmmm... I guess this sort of is working :) but where to go from
> > here? Should I continue to try to satisfy a dependencies like
> > libreadline.so.5 from Debian binaries?
> >

> I agree this appears to be working.  You can either continue
> converting from the debs (all of which are listed on the Debian
> package webpage), or you can grab the libs from your distribution
> using whatever method they use.  libreadline, libncurses, and
> libgmp3 should be all the unusual libs you need.

Cool!

I probably have libgmp3 already installed for other reasons
so that dependency is already satisfied.

Now I continued as follows:

On page http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
I clicked the 'libreadline5' dependency, chose a mirror and
downloaded

  libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb

I ran

  # alien --to-rpm libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb

and then

  # rpm -ihv libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.rpm

I also notice from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
that 'axiom-databases' is a dependency so I click, and download

  axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.deb

and run

    # alien --to-rpm axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.deb
    # rpm -ihv axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.rpm

Finally (with a momemt's hesitation ...) I actually run

    # rpm -ihv axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm

I exit from root and type:

address@hidden page]$ /usr/bin/axiom

Et voilĂ !
---------

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Sep 29 2005 18:04:31
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                     Version: Axiom 3.9 (September 2005)
             Timestamp: Thursday September 29, 2005 at 20:04:18
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

(1) -> D(sin x,x)

   (1)  cos(x)
                                        Type: Expression Integer

------
Amazingly easy! I love Debian - even Debian on non-Debian linux.  :-)

Of course this is just command line Axiom, but I presume that
I could continue like this and install the rest of Axiom,

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom-graphics
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom-hypertex

Even better now I have set of 'rpm' files that I can include on
the AxiomDownload page on the Axiom wiki and then anyone with an
'rpm-style' linux should be able to just downlaod and install these
rpm's as if they were native.

Simply wonderful technology. :-))

If anyone else can confirm that this works for them, then
I will add an appropriate section to the AxiomDownload page.