RE: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:28:29 -0400

On October 11, 2005 9:53 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2003-11/msg00195.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2004-03/msg00034.html
>
> so you can try
>  echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
>
> before trying the build and see if that fixes the problem.

Note that this should only be necessary on Fedora Core 4. On
my Fedora Core 3 system gcl automatically detects and sets
the appropriate compatibility option. I do not need to set
this option globally.

On Fedora Core 4,

echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

is required before building from CVS or running the pre-
installed binary.

Newer versions of gcl (not yet in the Axiom CVS) will also
detect Fedora Core 4 properly.

As an interim measure, I think the FC4 pre-installed binary
should set the global option in the 'axiom' script.