[Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: allprose missing file
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:10:05 +0100

Hi Tim,

one document per file was the original approach and was forced on me
because there was so much to convert. the new plan is to break the
system into volumes. on my machine i currently have 10 book volumes:

vol 1:  tutorial
vol 2:  programming
vol 3:  reference
vol 4:  developers guide
vol 5:  interpreter
vol 6:  compiler
vol 7:  browser
vol 8:  hyperdoc
vol 9:  algebra
vol 10: numerics

I like that. Does this mean that these volume would also contain all the code? That is exacly what I'd like to see.

i'm trying to follow your lead by applying some of your ideas (though
not your code) to the other volumes.

Tim you are referring to the license problem. Well, I did not say that I am unwilling to contribute to Axiom (even under BSD). I would be even happy to work on that. Don't do everything alone.

the algebra volume is going to be different from the others but i'm
still pondering the structure.

I would prefer to have this openly discussed. In particular, the structure for an API description (which is aldordoc.sty in ALLPROSE). I would not like to invent yet another structure for the documentation. There should be a good one and that should be fixed. It's a pity that the language designers haven't thought about structuring the +++ comments. It is high time NOW. aldordoc.sty is my suggestion.

I looked through the sources but could not find a guideline of how .pamphlet files should look like. Obviously, Tim, your intention was that each file is a separate document (a complete LaTeX file with added <<CHUNKS>>). Where is the pamphlet structure described?

there isn't a guideline yet. it's evolving as i discover and steal new
ideas (like allprose).

Well, if you like to "steal"... wouldn't it be better to invite me to contribute? That would raise the manpower working on Axiom.

Ralf