[Axiom-developer] Documentation of the Wiki

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Documentation of the Wiki
Date: 24 Nov 2005 17:57:20 +0100

Dear Bill, *

I insist: the problem is *not* that there wouldn't be enough
documentation. Rather, there is too much too read.

Of course, long text can be good. However, I'm afraid that most pages of the
Wiki where long text passages appear are not read at all.

Thus: please do not

> I will see what I can do to write an executive overview.

from scratch. Rather -- given that you have the time -- rewrite the existing
pages such that they are more succinct.

In the case at hand, this would probably be

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/HelpPage

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/MathAction

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AboutMathAction

especially the existance of the latter two is highly dubious. They seem to be
quite similar...

On the HelpPage, we find

  Click "edit" to change the page's text. You may also be able to rename the
  page, upload a file, or choose other options here.

but no indication how this can be done. Personally, I prefer to see an example,
so maybe a link to a SandBox page would be appropriate.

By the way, concerning the upload feature: Some time ago I realized that
uploading a file with the same name as an already existing file would simply
overwrite the old "version". Maybe uploaded files should be "local" to their
page, if this is feasible...

Martin