RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:20:34 -0500

On January 19, 2006 3:23 PM Jay Belanger wrote:

> Bill Page previously wrote:
> > The Axiom website is a wiki (user editable), so it would be very
> > easy to add a page consisting of the petition to Free Aldor. We
> > could freeze the text and then readers could "sign" it by simply
> > adding a comment.
> I'm not sure how to freeze text; perhaps it needs to be done by an
> administrator.

Yes. To do this you have to have Zope administrator access. By
default anyone can edit a wiki page, but it is possible to set
security options so that only someone logged in as administrator
can do this. I have changed the page you created so that it is now
protected.

> >> I couldn't get through to the web site last night; I'll try
> >> again later.
> >
> > It seems to be working for me now. What do you mean by
> > "couldn't get through"? Was it a server error? What message
> > did you receive?
>
> It wasn't a server error and there wasn't an error message.
> My browser simply kept trying without success.  (I use Firefox; the
> wheel thing in the tab kept spinning, indicating it was trying.)
> It's working fine now; it was probably a problem with the local
> network here.

I think it may be subtle problem with the Zope software. Ever since
we moved to the new hardware and also changed to using zeo for
database access, occassionally the Zope server seems to go into a
mode where it is using 99.9% of the processor and doing very little
real work. I am not sure of the exact cause, however I know that
if I stop and re-start both the zeo and zope server processes the
problem goes away. Right now I have set both of these servers to
automatically restart at about midnight CST every night so that if
the server is hung for some reason, then at least it should be ok
the next day without my intervention.

There have been some reports of problems like this related to the
older version of Python 2.3 that we are still using for MathAction.
In fact we are now more than a year behind the current versions of
both Python, Zope and ZWiki. I think I must plan seriously to upgrade
the software to the newer versions real soon.

Please let me know if this happens again.