Re: [Axiom-developer] Doyen cd with French

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Doyen cd with French
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:20:11 +0200

Hello Alfredo,

On 15 Jun 2006 at 14:24, Alfredo Portes wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> > I tried to use the Doyen Cd, and I met the following problems:
>
> Thank you for taking time to try the CD. We really need more people
> using it to obtain
> more suggestions on how to improve the Doyen CD.
>
> > - The password address@hidden is not trivial - first to remember and next
> > to type with a
> > French keyboard : one has to type Shift+2 to get @, and so
> > "doyenShift+2org" in
>
> Wao. It is complicated. We had the intention of changing the password
> to something
> simpler, like just "doyen". The password is in the Doyen-Wiki but not
> that trivial to find.
> I will try to have this for the next build of the live cd, together
> with more important content
> in the front page of the Wiki as suggested by Mr. Bill Page.

"doyen" would be OK for French. It seems (from images of other keyboards I
found on the
Internet) that it would not be OK for German, Italian, Spanish and Swedish
keyboards. For
other keyboards with non latin characters, I suppose there might be problems
too ?

> > - For next releases, I wonder if it would not be better to use Knoppix for
> > the core,
> > instead of Fedora ?
>
> There is a version of Doyen using Knoppix 3.7.
> http://daly.axiom-developer.org/doyen/ However, the final goal of the
> project was to have a Red Hat based Live CD. The Doyen-Knoppix version
> does not have a Axiom / LatexWiki. Knoppix has changed very much from
> version 3.7 to the latest 4.0.2, especially in the way the Live CD can
> be remastered. I would like to try to update this over the summer, and
> have the AxiomLatexWiki included.

> > My PCs are networked to Internet through an ADSL modem-
> > router, and Knoppix found it so I was able to connect to Internet without
> > any
> > additional configuration. With the Doyen CD, I could not connect to
> > Internet and the
> > adress of the modem-router was detected incorrectly as first DNS address
> > (instead
> > of gateway, as correctly found by Knoppix).
>
> Very interesting. I have never come across this problem. I will check into it.

after rechecking, I could ping to external sites from a terminal, so the pb is
more subtle,
perhaps it has to do rather with incorrect (or not done?) configuration of
Firefox and other
software (or my bad knowledge of Fedora :-). But definitely, it did not work
right out from the
CD, contrary to the latest Knoppix which worked like a charm from the very
beginning despite
my somewhat complicated hardware configuration (the preceding Knoppix did not
work,
BTW).

> > - The Doyen CD does not recognize hard disks with ntfs partitions (cannot
> > read)
> > while Knoppix is able to read them.
>
> I use the Doyen CD and it recognizes my ntfs partitions correctly. Not sure
> why
> it didn't find it in your computer. My first guess is that the autofs
> daemon is off. I
> will address this.

Ah, so it is a more subtle problem. The exact problem is : a 250Gb sata disk
under ntfs is
detected as hard disk but not readable (while it is by Knoppix). On the other
hand, I have a
120Gb sata drive under fat32 that is readable, so it might be that sata driver
cannot deal with
large disks (>130Gb) ? I did not find time to go on Fedora site, download and
check if it is
solved with the new version, and signal the pb if not solved already. Sure it
will be corrected
in some next version, as with Knoppix.

> > But maybe there are other PC configs that Fedora would analyze correctly
> > but not
> > Knoppix, so it is more a question than a suggestion. Or maybe there are now
> > newer
> > Fedora (I used the latest Knoppix, dated 2 june 2006).
>
> You are right. It is really a trade off, especially that the creation
> of a Fedora CD is faster
> and more customizable than Knoppix,

I see, so Fedora is a very reasonable choice, you're right

> but Knoppix has more hardware
> support. Actually, Doyen is one of the first Fedora Live CDs I have
> seem around. An official one was only achieved last year in Google
> Summer of Code, so I think in that sense Knoppix is more mature. I
> guess the best thing will be to have best of both worlds (this will
> actually be better for people who prefer KDE than Gnome).

> Thank you very much, if you have more suggestions just let me know.

I will download your new version this week end and have a try.

Best wishes,
Michel

address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden