Re: [Axiom-developer] Live CDs - with qemu

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Live CDs - with qemu
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:30:05 -0400

Hi Frederic,

Thank you for the input. I will add this information to the Doyen webpage.

Regards,

Jose Alfredo Perez

On 6/23/06, Frederic Lehobey <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:05:26AM -0400, Bill Page wrote:
> On June 16, 2006 10:42 AM you wrote:
> >
> > Out of curosity, has anyone ever tried to run a LiveCD using a
> > virtual machine?  Bochs I suppose would be too slow, but maybe
> > Xen one of the other newer ones?
> >
> > It would be sort of cool to be able to "boot" a livecd without
> > restarting your own computer, although I suppose it makes
> > more sense to just create an image in that case.
> >

> ??? I think it might be worth your while to read and understand
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenVirtualMachinePackage
>
> That is exactly what Alfredo has done using VMware. VMware is not
> open source but it is free.
>
> I don't see any reason why one could not do something very similar
> with Xen.

For those insterested in trying with (free software) qemu, the
following commands worked for me (Debian sarge):

$ wget -c http://alfredo.axiom-developer.org/doyen/doyen-42206.iso
$ qemu -user-net -m 256 -cdrom doyen-42206.iso -boot d

I take the opportunity to point at new Debian based live-CD mastering
scripts: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive

Best regards,
Frédéric Lehobey