Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:13:17 +0200

Hi Gaby,

| If for the bootstrapping file configure.ac.pamplet (that should be
| enough?) we restrict to just several code chunks of the form
| | <<*>>=
| code here
| @
| <<*>>=
| other code
| @
| | All these <<*>> chunks are linearly concatenated by notangle to give
| the final output.

Yes, that is what I implemented in configure.ac.pamphlet.

| For that simple task, I am sure that it is not too
| difficult to write a sed or awk script.
If you have that script, I'll drop my objection -- because it means
our bootstrapping dependency is much weaker, i.e. only traditional
tools.

Last night I saw that Automake depends on Perl. I am much more fluent in Perl. And Perl runs und Window, too. I believe a simple notangle replacement for the configure files would be much easier in Perl. Do you allow me to write it in Perl? Or is that dependency already too strong?

Ralf