Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom with unmodified noweb

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom with unmodified noweb
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:44:25 +0200

A minor point: Should we assume 'perl' as a build dependency? I
only assumed 'awk' - which one might view as an older and simpler
version of 'perl'. But I am not against assuming the presence of
'perl' and getting rid of the old 'awk' scripts.

Hmm, PERL is certainly not installed on every machine, but I now write all my scripts in perl simply because I cannot remember all those different variants of sh, ksh, csh, zsh, etc and awk, nawk, oawk, mawk.
It is quite human to make error with that.

I am all in favour of PERL. It is quite common nowadays anyway. And for our simple usage we probably don't need any fancy perl module.

That's my 1 1/2 cents. ;-)

Ralf