Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom with unmodified noweb

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom with unmodified noweb
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:52:56 +0200

Hi Gaby,

I've once made a test and Bill confirmed my findings...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00262.html

It seems that there is only ONE line in Axiom that still needs the noweb patch. I think we should simple add an @ to escape the << and get rid of the noweb sources.
Tim seems to want the following "non-noweb convention".

  If
  appears in the text and the chunk name <<Blah>> is not defined,
  then noweb should output "<<Blah>>" literally.

That is not Norman Ramsey's definition, he doesn't like it and he even presented an awk-script that can be used as a filter to achieve that behaviour.

We should get rid of this convention and we should not have need for the awk script. I would rather tell to people that they should write according to noweb's definition than introducing a slight modification like given through the above convention. (Where should we document that anyway?)

Ralf