Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: cross-compiling Axiom

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: cross-compiling Axiom
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:40:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, root wrote:

| Not much that I can see. Yes, you could build a cross-compiled
| image of Axiom and you could set the system so it does not try
| to compile things but you couldn't use it for algebra development
| without a lot of hand-manipulation (e.g. running the debugsys
| image in which everything is interpreted, hand-loading the
| interpreted form of the compiled algebra, etc).
|
| I'm at a loss about why the cross-compilation issue was raised.

Distributors have environments set up so that they can cross-compile
programs to targets.  You can wonder why they do this, but that is the
way they do it.

Cross-compiling Axiom here, does not mean that the Axiom compilers or
interpreter is itself a cross-compiler (to get there, you would have
compiled Axiom as a Canadian cross which is pointless in this specific
case).  The cross-compiled tools or programs just act natively when
run on the host.  I suspect that is the part Bill is confused about.