[Axiom-developer] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid question)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid question)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:44:20 -0400

On Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:44 AM Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2006, at 02:24 , Tim Daly wrote:
> >
> > So SAGE is using Xcode and not Fink? Thus it would help future
> > compatibility if I used Xcode?

> Xcode is two things: it's a package of tools for development on
> Mac OS X; and it's an IDE for working on programming/debugging/editing

> tasks.
> So: you need to have Xcode (the package) installed, but you don't
> need to "use Xcode".
>
> I hope that is both clearer, and not too pedantic.

I think it's very clear, thank you.

So, how can I tell of Xcode is installed? In particular, how
can I tell of Xcode is installed on the OS X system in the
SourceForge compile farm? The server is accessed via ssh command
line. The compile farm docs

http://sourceforge.net/docs/compile_farm

seem to be a little out of date since the

* ppc-osx1: Apple Mac OS X 10.1 Server with Fink running on an Mac G4
* ppc-osx2: Apple Mac OS X 10.2 Server with Fink running on an Mac G4

are no longer available but there is a system named ppc-osx3 running
OS X 10.3.

If both Xcope and Fink are installed, since this is a shared server
with no root access can you recommend a procedure that will ensure
that I do not inherit any Fink dependencies?