[Axiom-developer] Re: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid qu

From: Justin C. Walker
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid question)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:11:49 -0700

On Sep 6, 2006, at 09:44 , Page, Bill wrote:

On Wednesday, September 06, 2006 11:44 AM Justin C. Walker wrote:

On Sep 6, 2006, at 02:24 , Tim Daly wrote:

So SAGE is using Xcode and not Fink? Thus it would help future
compatibility if I used Xcode?

Xcode is two things: it's a package of tools for development on
Mac OS X; and it's an IDE for working on programming/debugging/ editing

tasks.
So: you need to have Xcode (the package) installed, but you don't
need to "use Xcode".

I hope that is both clearer, and not too pedantic.

I think it's very clear, thank you.

So, how can I tell of Xcode is installed? In particular, how
can I tell of Xcode is installed on the OS X system in the
SourceForge compile farm? The server is accessed via ssh command
line. The compile farm docs

Xcode (the IDE and friends) is installed in "/Developer", so check for that directory. However, as I said, Xcode is also the tool chain (gcc, dyld, ...), and those are what you want. Especially when viewed from an ssh perspective, it should look, more or less, like any Unix system:
   gcc -v
will tell you what version of the compiler you have.

http://sourceforge.net/docs/compile_farm

seem to be a little out of date since the

* ppc-osx1: Apple Mac OS X 10.1 Server with Fink running on an Mac G4
* ppc-osx2: Apple Mac OS X 10.2 Server with Fink running on an Mac G4

are no longer available but there is a system named ppc-osx3 running
OS X 10.3.

You can the version of the OS with "sw_version" (command-line).

If both Xcope and Fink are installed, since this is a shared server
with no root access can you recommend a procedure that will ensure
that I do not inherit any Fink dependencies?

The most straight-forward is to check your environment variables ('env'). You don't want anything like "/sw/..." in any of them (e.g., PATH).

If the 10.3 system is not 10.3.9, then you may have some build problems with SAGE; ask here for help if things go sour. I can try building things for you on my 10.4 systems if you want to verify that they work on a more recent system.

Hope that helps.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large