[Axiom-developer] Re: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Ben Collins-Sussman
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:19:19 -0500

Yes, this is definitely a client-side error.  When the svn client
sends a file to the server (during a commit), it uses xdelta to
diff-encode the data into a temporary file, then the neon library (an
http client library) pushes the tmpfile over the wire.

As an experiment, you might want to create a local repository, and
have svk push the full history from the original repository to another
local repository.

On 9/28/06, Page, Bill <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:13 PM I wrote:

> After several attempts using SVK, first trying the mirroring
> method that I mentioned earlier, and then later using just a
> simple 'commit' of the most recent revision of trunk from
> the Axiom Silver, the result is the same error message:
>
>   "Could not write svndiff to temp file: No space left on
>    device"
> In those cases were I could get feedback from svn while it was
> working, it seemed that this error occurred while trying to
> commit a single large file from the zips directory - probably
> the gcl tarball (about 20 Mbytes). That's large but not *that*
> large... I wonder if the Google server is using some very
> limited temporary space, e.g. a overly small /tmp volume or
> something like that?

Actually I now suspect the problem occurs on our side of
the process - not Google's. Our axiom-developer.org server
is configured with a very small /tmp (tmpfs) space - only
16 Mbytes! If svn is trying to stuff all of the tarball into
this small space, it is bound to fail.

Many applications allow one to define an environment variable
to override the placement of files in /tmp, e.g.

  export TEMP=/anywhere/else

I was not able to determine if this is possible with svn/SVK
or not but I am running another batch job now with this
option to see if my commit will run to completion.

Stay tuned...