Re: [Axiom-developer] Maintainers

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Maintainers
Date: 04 Nov 2006 07:26:49 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > | A "single point of control", however, is vitally important.
| > | You're basically "putting your name" on the dotted line
| > | claiming that you "control" the repository. If you allow
| > | anyone to make any change they want you'll quickly find that
| > | you have no idea what the changes mean and how they impact
| > | the stability of "silver".
| >
| > That does not make much sense.  People should be allowed to make
| > changes to silver when their patches are approved.  That is very
| > different from people making random changes willy-nilly as you seem to
| > imply.
|
| ..."when their patches are approved"...
|
| if the idea is tested in a branch

You're not going to require people to create a branch for *every
single* patch, right?

[...]

| one person has total control over the whole source tree in their branch,
| such as you have with build-improvements. why isn't it reasonable to
| have one person coordinating silver?

For that matter, I feel the control of branches should be shared
responsabilities when and where that appropriate.  In the case of the
trunk/silver I feel even more so that it should not depend on a single
point of failure.

| there are a lot of "other tasks" besides checking in changes
| that need to be performed in order to keep a silver version.
| who would have the responsibility to do this?

Please be more specific, so that I can offer meaningful answer.