Re: [Axiom-developer] Maintainers

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Maintainers
Date: 04 Nov 2006 05:49:34 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| A "single point of control", however, is vitally important.
| You're basically "putting your name" on the dotted line
| claiming that you "control" the repository. If you allow
| anyone to make any change they want you'll quickly find that
| you have no idea what the changes mean and how they impact
| the stability of "silver".

That does not make much sense.  People should be allowed to make
changes to silver when their patches are approved.  That is very
different from people making random changes willy-nilly as you seem to
imply.

[...]

| You would need to think about how the changes will affect
| many things including outstanding branches. Suppose
| someone checks in Java Ant sripts to do builds instead of
| using autoconf. Is that the best thing for the project?
| Do we want to add Java as a global dependency? How do you
| plan to resolve the Perl build mechanism with the current
| mechanism? Or the build-improvements mechanism? Or suppose
| someone renames files. What code depends on those files?
| Does it break things we are not testing?

But, the check-in would have been approved after review, not before!

[...]

| Just because it works does not make it right for the project.

Yes, indeed.  And we should erase silver. <g>.