Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV

From: Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:03:24 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Nobody claims that is illegal.  We are talking of a *specific variable*
here, that happens to have a *specific meaning* for shells.

It may help to state the *specific meaning* of ENV in POSIX shells. I looked at the man page for bash and it says:

"When invoked as an interactive shell with the name sh, bash looks for the variable ENV, expands its value if it is defined, and uses the expanded value as the name of a file to read and execute."

So I can imagine a call to "$ENV sh something" in a makefile to explode. What actually happened?

--
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga
Programmer-Archaeologist