Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:12:50 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
> | In subdirectories make variable ENV is unset, so its expansion is
> | empty.
>
> No, again you're making the assumption that ENV does not mean anything
> particular.  ENV means something very precise is POSIXilly correct
> shells.  In particular its value is exported, which means that if you
> don't set it, you get what it is supposed to be (not empty).  The
> above is an experiment you can reproduce with a POSIX-compliant shell.
>
> The issue is very simple: avoid ENV.  Use MAKEFLAGS (which I'm working on).

Ok, so we pick shell ENV when we run make in subdirectories.  Yes, that
is good reason to change it to something else.  As quck fix we may just
initialize ENV to empty string (explicit initialization should take
precedence over enviroment variables), but in long term we want different
name.  I am not sure if MAKEFLAGS is really good for us.  AFAIU make
assigns magic semantic to this name, which is different that current
ENV use.  Personally I would change ENV to something like ENV_TO_PASS.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden