Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and streams

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and streams
Date: 06 Aug 2007 19:07:44 -0400

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings!  This stuff sounds great, and likely can be included in the
> gcl distribution proper even though it is an ansi extension.  I think
> slime depends on gray streams, right?  That would be reason enough.
> But perhaps support should be in the form of an autoloadable module.

OK.  Thats great you support this!

Yes, Slime requires Gray streams to the best of my knowledge.

The main implementation specific bit is to connect
'fundamental-stream, the root of the Gray stream hierarchy, into the
CL type system.  We need to have both 'cl:stream and
'cl:standard-object as superclasses, so this might need to be done at
the PCL level.

An autoloadable module would be ideal, for at that time further
extensions to the CL name space could be made (we would need to
redefine cl:close, cl:streamp, and a few others, as generic
functions).

I will see what I can come up with and hopefully provide an initial
proposal for GCL.

Thanks,
Steve