Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:26:59 -0700

> On Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:49 PM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> > Camm,
>
> GCL is not the problem with a solaris port.
>
> Solaris does not include texlive support (for free anyway).  So Axiom
> would have to be adjusted to build without using TeX.  While that is
> technically possible it goes against the project goals.

For what it's worth...

I took a stab at taking texlive and trying to boil out a "minimalist" or
"modular" subset that would be easier to understand and support - I got as far
as producing a basic TeX executable, but (from what I remember) I stalled out
(hopefully temporarily) when I realized a lot of shell scripts needed to be
converted to something more portable (probably C++ - one of the goals is to be
able to just build and run on Windows...).  The goals of that effort are a bit
different from Axiom's in terms of portability (CMake is used quite a bit) but
perhaps the work there might be helpful as a starting point for making some
kind of "portable, minimalist TeX" to support Axiom's needs...

What has been done so far is at https://github.com/starseeker/ModTeX if it's of
any help/interest.  Of course, if the goal is to have the whole system in lisp
cl-typesetting might be a more logical starting point, although it looks the
"current" code for that on their website was last updated in 2006...  I suppose
the purest way to go would be to implement the necessary TeX pieces in Lisp
directly, but at that level of effort it starts to make sense to just require
texlive and focus on more important things.

Cheers,
CY