Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:34:21 -0700

> On Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:26 PM, C Y <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

>>  On Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:49 PM,
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>  > Camm,
>>
>>  GCL is not the problem with a solaris port.
>>
>>  Solaris does not include texlive support (for free anyway).  So Axiom
>>  would have to be adjusted to build without using TeX.  While that is
>>  technically possible it goes against the project goals.
>
> For what it's worth...
>
> I took a stab at taking texlive and trying to boil out a "minimalist"
> or "modular" subset that would be easier to understand and support - I
> got as far as producing a basic TeX executable, but (from what I remember) I
> stalled out (hopefully temporarily) when I realized a lot of shell scripts
> needed to be converted to something more portable (probably C++ - one of the
> goals is to be able to just build and run on Windows...).  The goals of that
> effort are a bit different from Axiom's in terms of portability (CMake is
> used quite a bit) but perhaps the work there might be helpful as a starting
> point for making some kind of "portable, minimalist TeX" to support
> Axiom's needs...
>
> What has been done so far is at https://github.com/starseeker/ModTeX if it's
> of any help/interest.  Of course, if the goal is to have the whole system in
> lisp cl-typesetting might be a more logical starting point, although it looks
> the "current" code for that on their website was last updated in
> 2006...  I suppose the purest way to go would be to implement the necessary
> TeX
> pieces in Lisp directly, but at that level of effort it starts to make sense
> just require texlive and focus on more important things.
>
> Cheers,
> CY

Ah, correction - looks like cl-typesetting (and cl-pdf) ended up living on
github:

https://github.com/mbattyani/cl-typesetting
https://github.com/mbattyani/cl-pdf

Even better, he's switched to a 2-clause BSD license (no advertising
requirement).

Hmm.  Now I have a dilemma.  That license is excellent, and it's all in Lisp...
wonder what it would take to get it to support TeX/LaTeX.

CY