Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] solaris
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 05:24:32 -0700

> On Monday, September 15, 2014 1:43 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> The browser front end currently allows Axiom notebook-like interaction
> (you type an expression and see the result) as well as hyperdoc-style
> browsing (only some of the pages have been converted so far).
>
> The graphics port to the browser will require using a canvas.  (Scott
> Morrison's command of graphics has me cracking open my Foley and Van
> Dam book.)  I've done some canvas programming with javascript to test
> examples.  I'd like to use the new websocket interface so the canvas
> can do interactive commands back to axiom (my attempt to use it
> failed, probably due to a misconfiguration somewhere).

Out of curiosity, does the WebGL work have any implications for the
browser-as-interface paradigm, either for 3D plotting or possibly as a complete
"generic canvas" solution?  I confess I hadn't really thought too deeply about
it since I'm one of those old fogies who vastly prefers a purpose-built
interface for most things as opposed to browser-as-interface, but as I consider
interfaces like that of Blender and the push towards WebGL it occurs to me that
a pure OpenGL interface (probably excepting key bindings and events, as usual)
might be able to do lots of really cool things on all sorts of devices...

CY