bayonne-devel

[Bayonne-devel] Monitoring Bayonne traffic with MRTG...

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] Monitoring Bayonne traffic with MRTG...
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:34:47 -0400

It seems me very natural to use MRTG to track call traffic trends and history from a Bayonne server. I am curious if anyone else has done this already. In fact, one can scan the testing branch usage file or create a graph for individual trunk groups from the stats file with relativily little work. This works great if mrtg is ran from the same server Bayonne is on since one can write a simple perl or shell script that is invoked from the mrtg cfg file and have it return the peek inbound/outbound traffic port usage from the Bayonne calls and usage files, and these stats are rolled over on a fixed interval by Bayonne already.

The one problem comes in when trying to monitor traffic from remote Bayonne servers. We don't currently publish them network visible as part of the bayonne shared net traffic. Perhaps we should. Another solution might be to adapt a shell script to attach to a tcp port using Mark's excellant tcp console monitor. A third possibility I had considered was to write an inetd deamon that could be queried remotely. I am curious how people may feel about either of these methods, especially those who might already be using mrtg with Bayonne.