bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] VLC problems on w32
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 06:11:35 +0100

Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Okay, well, Bongo should send a `quit' command to VLC when
>> it sees that last line.
>>
>>              ((looking-at (eval-when-compile
>>                             (rx (and line-start
>>                                      (optional
>>                                       (and "[" (zero-or-more digit) "]"))
>>                                      (zero-or-more space)
>>                                      "main playlist: nothing to play"
>>                                      line-end))))
>>               (process-send-string process "quit\n"))
>>
>> So the question is, is that regular expression failing to
>> match or is the `quit' command not working?
>>
>> Idea:  Perhaps we need to send "quit\r\n" on W32.
>>
>> Considering that `process-send-string' is giving you errors
>> when you try to pause, though, I suspect the quit command is
>> not even being issued.
>>
>> I mean, why wouldn't sending "quit\n" to the process give a
>> similar error to sending "pause\n"?
>>
>> Maybe try adding that carriage return to the quit command.
>> If that doesn't do anything, check whether or not the quit
>> command is being sent to the process (for example, by putting
>> `(error "foo")' right before the call to `process-send-string').
>>
>> If it's not being sent, maybe the regular expression is
>> wrong or maybe Bongo in fact does not see any of the output.
>>
>> Thank you for your help so far.  If you don't feel like
>> debugging this any further, I could probably find a computer
>> with Windows myself some time.
>
> Sending "quit\r\n" did not help.
>
> I changed the code to
>
>                                      line-end))))
>               (print "about to send quit")
>               (process-send-string process "quit\r\n"))
>
> and the "about to send quit" did get displayed,

Okay, good.  So the regular expression is fine.

> but vlc did not quit.

Probably there was other junk in the input buffer when the
quit command was sent, so VLC saw something like this:

   get_length\nget_time\nget_time\n[...]quit\r\n

Maybe it treated that whole thing as one line and in
response did nothing but print some kind of error message.

   The command `get_length\nget_time[...]quit' is undefined.

Something like that.

> Is there more I can check tomorrow?

You should try inserting carriage returns before the
terminating line feeds of all the other commands, too.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>