bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 06:01:37 +0100

Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That's... weird.  I'm almost tempted to suggest that you
>> reinstall VLC.  How and when did you install it?  Could it
>> have somehow broken since then?
>
> I downloaded the installer and executed it.  I don't think
> that the installation broke since I installed it, the same
> behaviour happens on both of my PCs.

I am trying to verify this bug by getting other people to try
this on Windows.  So far, I have had no luck on #videolan. :-)

>> Maybe because you sent neither "\r\n" nor "\n" after "quit".
>
> Good point, but sending quit\n and quit\r\n gives the same result.

Okay, so then the issue indeed appears to be that VLC reads
from the terminal instead of the standard input device.

(I guess it does that so that you can pipe a media stream to
the VLC process while also controlling it from the terminal.)

The --rc-fake-tty option is supposed to ``force the rc
module to use stdin as if it was a TTY''.  It appears, then,
that this option does not work with the Windows port of VLC.

This looks like a bug in VLC.  I will report it.

Thank you for investigating,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>