bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:44:47 -0700

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> We have already established that it does print to stdout.
> However, maybe it doesn't read from stdin...  That explains
> everything, I think.
>
> Good thought.  Now that you've suggested it, it seems quite
> probable that this is in fact the problem.
>
> So maybe we'll have to use the socket interface on Windows.
>
>    vlc -I rc --rc-host localhost
>
> Unfortunately, if you run VLC like that, it does not print
> the port that it binds to.  So we'll have to specify the
> port explicitly, which is pretty damn lame.  So maybe we
> should try one port, and if that fails, try the next, etc.
>
> What's more, all this could be a little slow, because we'll
> have to start VLC, wait for a sign that it has started to
> listen to the port, and then open a TCP connection.
> Hopefully this won't be unacceptably slow, because if it is,
> we might have to keep a single VLC process running, and that
> will require non-trivial changes to Bongo (on the other hand,
> that capability might be nice to have anyway).
>
> I'm surprised this stuff is so hard.  It's almost like
> nobody has ever tried to use the remote control interface.

I played a little with running VLC is a command window, and I have
noticed that

- it will output to stdout

- it will read on stdin

- it will quit when I type quit

but only if I first change directory to the VLC installation directory.
If I run VLC from some other current directory I just get an error
message.  Now I am not sure that all this is relevant here, but it is
something we could try.

--
Dieter Deyke