bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 06:27:20 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

>    ``Should we have separate user and hacker manuals --- the
>    same distinction as that made between the GNU Emacs Manual
>    and the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual?
>
>    ``If not, how do we include the details useful for hackers
>    without cluttering the manual too much for users?''

That is a good question. What kind of hacking or hacking-related
information is it that you want described in a manual? Writing a
custom backend?

> Basically, then, the beginning of the manual should be a
> more detailed version of the initial Bongo buffer text:

By the way, should it be possible to turn the initial buffer text off?

> How about this for a start?
>
>  * Overview [...]
>  * Inserting Tracks [...]
>  * Playing Tracks [...]
>  * Library Buffers [...]
>  * Saving

Looks good. I'd also like to see a node on customizing Bongo. Then
there are other special topics, like marks.

Now, we have three available manual writers, correct? Do you think it
can be coordinated now, or will it take time to get going?

>> My opinion is that a web service does not have to use free software
>> for me to use it. It is impossible to verify and it has no practical
>> implications to me anyway.
>
> The point is not whether it _uses_ free software, but rather
> whether the software it _distributes_ is free.

I see your point, but I don't think the software is that relevant.
(And not because it actually is free software.) The database is the
primary issue, because that's what Bongo uses. However, I think we can
save this discussion for later when Emacs 22 is finally out.