bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo in Emacs 23
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:49:40 +0200

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> My reasoning is that having a Last.fm interface is a bit like having
> a backend for MPlayer.  If Bongo doesn't support MPlayer because it
> encourages non-freedom, then it should do the same for Last.fm.
>
> Unless of course the Last.fm support implements a standardized
> protocol that can be used with other similar services, in which case
> it's a different matter.

That may be the case, but Bongo doesn't talk to Last.fm directly. It
uses the lastfmsubmit program. Besides calling it "Last.fm" and
adhering to certain Last.fm conventions (that are sensible in their
own right anyway), there's nothing that is specific to Last.fm here.
The only protocol is the command line arguments to the program.

It might be an idea to generalize this so that you can log your music
habits with other means if you want to. Bongo doesn't have to
recommend Last.fm specifically.