bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Drivel (was: Re: Changing backend for tracks)

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Drivel (was: Re: Changing backend for tracks)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:18:12 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

>    Notice how there is no coherent `track object' in sight.
>    This is what I propose to change.

For my definition of coherent:

    (text-properties-at (bongo-point-at-eol))

There's a track object. Do you want to work with anything that is
radically different from a property list? And in that case, how?

> My life has been a bit weird lately.  Basically, the upshot
> has been that I have neglected a lot of things I care about,
> including some friends, my mom, Bongo, and eating properly.

Okay. Those other things are more important than Bongo. I'm not in a
hurry with anything here, so please take your time. I appreciate that
you're talking about it.

> Do you think the current setup is good, with me maintaining
> some kind of --- in effect --- official repository, and you
> and everyone else sending me patches?
>
> I don't mind it much, except that I feel bad when I end up
> not applying patches that are sent for a long while simply
> because I have some undisclosed `ideas' about the code.

So you have the infrastructure that works with you being a control
freak ... It is good. (And there's nothing wrong with being a control
freak in this position.) You only need to communicate better with
contributors. Does that sound reasonable? Remember, you'll have the
final word anyway in all cases, but people would know better what's
going on and you'd hopefully not feel bad about not installing stuff.

> Anyway, if you want we could each maintain our own personal
> repositories and pull patches from each other, instead of
> having a bottleneck configuration where you shower me with
> awesome stuff and I try to keep up with installing it all.

Code would still have to go through you to the official Bongo, so it
wouldn't be that different.

And I have to say that "shower" and "awesome" are quite exaggerating
words. At least that's how I feel about my contributions!