bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:18:36 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think it overuses hooks.  This may be what caused me to
>> consider structural changes: the mechanism seems fragile.
>
> Do you mean that it overuses /the/ hook? Because there was
> only one.

Right... by `hooks', I meant `the concept of hooks'.

> I tend to agree, though. I don't object to changing the code.

Okay.

> It should be highly configurable and easily extended,
> because I sense that this is something that not everybody
> wants working in the same way.

This is a good point, but we should still try to make the
default behavior as well-integrated into Bongo as possible.

The default code should not get in the way of custom hacks,
but we must not compromise on its quality of Just Working.

(I do not believe these two goals are really in conflict.)

> It is not exactly core functionality either. If we can get
> your version to reflect this, then all is good.

What about something as simple as `bongo-use-stream-metadata'?

If that is nil, then we don't do anything with the metadata
and users can do exactly what they want using the hooks.

>> Anyway, to make this concrete, I suggest introducing a
>> function `bongo-stream-metadata-changed' and moving into it
>> some of the functionality currently hanging off of hooks:
>
> I suggest you split `bongo-stream-metadata-changed',
> because it does a lot more than "Run the hooks appropriate
> for when PLAYER's stream metadata changed." as it is now.

I would rather change the documentation string to reflect
the actual behavior.  What about something like this?

   Take actions appropriate for when PLAYER's stream metadata changed.
   This function runs the hooks `bongo-stream-metadata-changed-hook'
   and `bongo-stream-metadata-changed-functions'.

>> I'd like to have both, so the player infoset would have both
>> the stream title and the title of what's currently playing.
>> Furthermore, I believe this is always desirable, so we can
>> hard-code it.  Any objections?
>
> Sounds OK. I wonder if the player should set this itself,
> though.  (Because it can?)

Perhaps.  None of this is particularly clear-cut to me.

> Also, maybe the infoset should include the stream metadata,
> separate from the other data, instead of storing it as
> player properties? Just a thought.

I've thought about this too.  Things tend to get complicated
when you start to consider changes to these parts of Bongo.

There is a host of assumptions made about infosets, many of
which I am not particularly happy about, but I don't want to
think about any of that stuff now.  (If you want to, I will
participate in the discussion of course.)

>> I would modify [the tooltip] to show the URL if the
>> buffer already displays the stream title.  Come to think
>> of it, in fact, maybe all file tracks should show the
>> file name in a tooltip (especially URI tracks).
>
> Both are good ideas.
>
>> If so, we could simplify this by always showing in the
>> tooltip only the URI --- not the stream title.  Then this
>> code could be put elsewhere.
>
> What about the genre metadata?

I don't know.  You tell me. :-)

Personally, I don't think it's important.  Just because the
information is available doesn't mean we have to use it.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>