bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Stream metadata
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:23:55 +0200

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it overuses hooks.  This may be what caused me to
> consider structural changes: the mechanism seems fragile.

Do you mean that it overuses /the/ hook? Because there was only one. I
tend to agree, though. I don't object to changing the code.

It should be highly configurable and easily extended, because I sense
that this is something that not everybody wants working in the same
way. It is not exactly core functionality either. If we can get your
version to reflect this, then all is good.

> Anyway, to make this concrete, I suggest introducing a
> function `bongo-stream-metadata-changed' and moving into it
> some of the functionality currently hanging off of hooks:

I suggest you split `bongo-stream-metadata-changed', because it does a
lot more than "Run the hooks appropriate for when PLAYER's stream
metadata changed." as it is now.

> I'd like to have both, so the player infoset would have both
> the stream title and the title of what's currently playing.
> Furthermore, I believe this is always desirable, so we can
> hard-code it.  Any objections?

Sounds OK. I wonder if the player should set this itself, though.
(Because it can?) Also, maybe the infoset should include the stream
metadata, separate from the other data, instead of storing it as
player properties? Just a thought.

> I would modify [the tooltip] to
> show the URL if the buffer already displays the stream title.
> Come to think of it, in fact, maybe all file tracks should
> show the file name in a tooltip (especially URI tracks).

Both are good ideas.

> If so, we could simplify this by always showing in the
> tooltip only the URI --- not the stream title.  Then this
> code could be put elsewhere.

What about the genre metadata?