cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] [RELEASE] Parrot 007: Secret Agent Bird

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] [RELEASE] Parrot 007: Secret Agent Bird
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:16:49 -0400

At 2:03 PM -0400 7/19/02, Pat Eyler wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Jeff wrote:

[elision]

 Welcome to version 0.0.7 of Parrot.

 The big news: Perl 6 grammar and a small but functional compiler!
 Check out languages/perl6 and the tests, but make sure to build
 languages/imcc first.

 Functional subroutine, coroutine, and continuation PMCs
 Global variables
 Intermediate bytecode compiler (languages/imcc)
 Assembler now entirely in perl, no more PakFile2.xs
 Working GC

It looks like another big jump in functionality ... it may be time to
start doing something serious with cardinal.  The question is what to do
and how to organize it.

Next on the list is lexical variables and methods, so that should help a lot.

What I'd do is take a look at how the perl 6 parser we now ship does it--it's completely standalone, and may give you a handle on at least one way to do things. (It uses Melvin's IMCC intermediate compiler, which we also ship, to do some of the more difficult things, which is nice)
--
                                        Dan

address@hidden                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk