cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] [RELEASE] Parrot 007: Secret Agent Bird

From: Phil Tomson
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] [RELEASE] Parrot 007: Secret Agent Bird
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:41:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Melvin Smith wrote:

> At 02:03 PM 7/19/2002 -0400, Pat Eyler wrote:
> >It looks like another big jump in functionality ... it may be time to
> >start doing something serious with cardinal.  The question is what to do
> >and how to organize it.
>
> I'm not a Ruby guy, but I'd expect the best place to start would
> be the YACC definition in parse.y from Ruby source code. Get a working
> parser going even if it does nothing but check syntax, then take it a step
> at a time. Instead of using all of the support routines I would just trim
> out the BNF grammar and start from there.
>
> -Melvin

I think we should try out Robert Feldt's Ruth for this:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rubyvm/src/other/ruth/

It basically uses Matz's lexx/yacc parser and allows you to access the AST
created by that parser from within Ruby.

I keep meaning to give it a try, but just don't have much time these
days...

Phil