certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] Where to store libHLA tests?

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Where to store libHLA tests?
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:46:41 +0100

2008/11/4 Gotthard, Petr <address@hidden>:
>> I would say that "unit test" should go somewhere near the
>> code they belongs in the libHLA case, may be in a new
>>
>> libHLA/tests directory?
>
> This would be perfect if there was a way how to integrate tests from all
> (sub)directories into the CTest dashboard. Is there any?

Yes there is :-), may be it depends on how you look at it.

You may not submit (without more work) in a single dashboard both
certi/ and
applications/HLA_TestsSuite
because they are separate CMake project.

That's why I created a CERTI dashboard:
http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=CERTI

AND

a CERTI HLA TestsSuite one:
http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=CERTI HLA TestsSuite

However, in fact it may be possible to do it if you create
a "meta-project" which includes both modules, however
they were not meant for that because CERTI and HLA_TestsSuite
are independent:
  CERTI should be 'autonomous' and
  HLA_TestsSuite needs a RTI, which may be CERTI or another one.

> I did not find any possibility to do "partial submissions" with CTest,

For a single project, for example HLA_TestsSuite you may ask
CTest to run a subset of the tests suite, using either
-R <regex> Run tests matching regular expression.
-E <regex> Exclude tests matching regular expression.
 -I [Start,End,Stride,test#,test#|Test file] Run a specific number of
tests by number.
-U Take the Union of -I and -R

for example with inclusion regex on HLA TestsSuite:

$ ctest -R ".*FOM.*"
Start processing tests
Test project /home/eric/workspace/HLA_TestsSuite/build
  4/  4 Testing test_FOMParse ................   Passed

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1
$

or

$ ctest -R ".*create.*"
Start processing tests
Test project /home/eric/workspace/HLA_TestsSuite/build
  1/  4 Testing create_destroy ...............   Passed

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1
$

thus if you adopt appropriate naming convention for your tests.
For example you may do

ctest -R ".*libHLA.*"

in order to run test whose name contains "libHLA" in the enclosing project.
You may even use different --overwrite options in order to forge different
buildname/sitename for libHLA and/or CERTI.

Another way to do it would be through a to-be-added option within the
certi/CMakeLists.txt
that would enable us to only build libHLA (and not certi at all).
In this case since your build tree has been configured for building libHLA only
you may run ctest as usual since the tests located in an
 unconfigured part of the tree won't be runned at all.

> so I think that by using the libHLA/tests directory we lose the possibility
> to make
> CTest integration.

I don't think so, but may be I misunderstood what you want to do?
If this is the case then tell us what you want to do?

--
Erk