chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:24:34 +0100 (CET)

> Additional Complexity: This is also a no brainer, whichever way we
> decide to go, we will have to change things in the long run. Either
> to adapt to the larger SVN tree or to the new scheme. Both may be
> done without breaking existing stuff (apart from path changes of
> course).

Not a no-brainer at all. The current system is pretty simple. That's a
feature. I don't even want to think about the previous system, which
was really fragile and more complicated. So, avoiding complexity is
something I find really important.

I like the idea of tgz-submission (did John suggest it? I can't
remember, it's already 60 seconds later). How about a central store
that accepts tgz's and external clients, that keep their own
infrastructure (and DVCS's), who regularly pull repos from the actual
contributors and have a simple tool to upload the egg? That way we
could decouple the DVCS->Egg process from the infrastructure that
stores and serves the egg.

cheers,
felix