chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:00:20 +0100

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:53:19AM +0000, Imran Rafique wrote:
> > I don't see why chicken-install needs to be bloated with all this stuff.
> > Why not maintain a mercurial patch queue or use quilt.  You could also
> > just have a local clone of a repo with your own changes?
>
> Right. Till you have a situation where you've added customisations to
> a dozen eggs (perhaps your org is deploying scheme on some
> non-standard environment, necessitating these changes), and you need
> to manage deploying all these customised eggs to multiple hosts.

First, that way of working creates more problems than it's worth; this
will make it a pain in the ass to maintain.  But let's say you do this.

Chicken-install already supports this; just point it at a directory to
install.  You can even run your own in-house henrietta from which you
distribute your modified egg tree.  Chicken-install is *not* the place
to "fix" this.

> > Adding all this stuff to chicken-install needlessly complicates an
> > intentionally simple tool.
>
> Going back to your previous comment regarding not wanting to touch
> chicken-install. If that is really the case, then everything I've said
> here is moot anyway.

It's not cast in stone, but I don't think anyone's willing to take the
effort to add this to chicken-install, or maintain the resulting pile
of code when you would.  If you're willing to implement this *and* take
up maintenance of chicken-install, I suppose there's no problem.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx